The Power of the Podcast (& my favourites)

Monday, September 28, 2020

Rakhwat for Unsplash

Amidst the chaos of our minds during the lockdown, I present to you my absolute favourite distraction.

Ok so, it's not always a distraction. Sometimes they're soothing, sometimes damn funny, but sometimes they're educational and they change the way you think about things - for the better.

It's podcasts.

It's not revolutionary, they've been around for years and I'm sure you've all listened to at least one if not many already but they're still worth talking about. I don't think we realise quite how much easier it can be for our minds to focus on something audio, rather than a book. Sure, TV also works, but a podcast almost feels like a conversation with someone, or a supportive friend or parent giving advice. It feels personal. It feels real. 

On top of all of this, it's a great way to liven up a walk, which is literally the only activity we're allowed to do right now! I constantly find myself recommending them to people who are stuck in a bit of a mopey phase, struggling with anxiety or just need a laugh for a little while. 

I also often find myself stuck in that familiar circle of scrolling through the billions of options, overwhelmed by choice and unsure of which episode and which podcast to actually pick, so I've done the job for you and picked out a few below. These range from the completely hilarious, light-hearted gibberish, to the more serious ones that have had me pausing and reaching for my Podcast Notes notebook (yes, I genuinely have one).

How to Fail with Elizabeth Day
(Thought, Anxiety, Motivational)

Favourite episodes: 


Unlocking Us with Brené brown
(Thought, Anxiety, Motivational)

Favourite episodes: 

Shagged, Married, Annoyed (Chris & Rosie Ramsey)
(Hilarious, crude at times, requires absolutely 0 brain power)

Favourite episodes: 

    Desert Island Discs
    (Interesting, relaxing)

    Favourite episodes: 

      Off the Menu with Ed Gamble & James Acaster
      (Funny, light-hearted)

      Favourite episodes: 

        Private Parts (Jamie Laing & Francis Boulle)
        (Funny, chilled out chat, sometimes meaningful)

        Favourite episodes: 

          Happy Place
          (Thought, Anxiety, Motivational)

          Favourite episodes: 

          The High Low
          (Thought, Recommendations, Culture)

          Favourite episodes: 

            There is so, so many more but these are just a few that have gotten me through the year! Let me know your thoughts!

            Imi x

            Notes with Imi